Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Vision Quest: Food!





My vision quest was a little different than the rest of everyone's vision quests.
Now I can tell you that this has nothing to do with my vision quest but figured I'd mention one of the reasons why I decided to even study abroad on the Abbaye program. I can tell you that my experience here in Europe has been eye opening. In my family, the majority of my older cousins (I'm talking cousins removed as well) have studied abroad to all the different parts of the world. They have visited Ireland and Italy; France and Spain; Argentina along with China! In my immediate family I have seven other cousins and then my younger sister, Angelica so nine in total including me. Five of the nine grandchildren are younger than me. I was the first granddaughter born for my grandma and grandpa. So I have a group of younger generations below me looking up to me and expecting e to be their role model. So that's is one of my main reasons to study abroad. I wanted to follow in my older cousin's footsteps and at the same time hope to be setting an good example for my baby cousins and my sister.

Now to go on with my vision quest. Coming from a New York Italian family, I found it fitting to only do my Vision Quest on none other than food that I encountered in Europe!! The three countries I wanted to focus on was Italy, Spain, and of course, France.

In Italy I was able to experience some amazing Gelato and lasagna in Rome. Side note; it was hard to find chicken Parmesan so if you are in the mood for that don't go looking for it. You'll be on a wild goose chase. I loved Venice when it came to the people and the atmosphere but absolutely adored the food in Rome. One of my favorite moments in Rome involved me sitting at a Cafe with an espresso right in front of the Colosseum. I guess I'll admit having hot tea after having Easter Sunday mass at the Vatican was pretty epic too. I loved Italian food and I can't wait to go back later and try different foods from there in different regions that what I visited.

My next destination: Spain. The Spanish do have a different kind of food. But just as delicious. I was able to visit my best friend Laura who has grown up in the Basque country of Spain in the city called Bilbao. When I first arrived at Laura's home, her mom came up to me and embraced me. Her father put my suit case in Laura's room. Then as I walked into Laura's room, her mom followed us shortly after with a tray of coffee and flan. I knew I was set in the food department staying with this lovely host family. Every night, Laura's mother would make us amazing dishes. She would make fish dishes, dishes with red peppers. I was able to experience real authentic food; characteristic of Basque country Spain.

My main Destination is centered in France. In France I noticed that the French center their lives around carbs and the idea of a three course meal. I was lucky enough to be able to cook over 50 crepes for the Abbaye student body with my host dad. Talk about an experience for me. The deserts are exceptional and hard to pass up when you walk into a Patisserie. Food is such a delicacy here in France and definitely something that people should experience in their lifetime.

All these experiences in France and in Spain and Italy have made me come to realize that I have the power to take control of my life and see all the different parts of the world and it has allowed me to accept all different kinds of cultures and then allow myself to innovate these different attributes in these cultures into my life. I will bring these experiences back with me to my family and my cousins that I know look up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment