Saturday, April 24, 2010

A word of advise

I'm pretty sure that if you are applying for the abbey as a music student you will not be the person spending time on a student blog. But just in case you are, allow me to caution you. Being a music student, I'm sure that you are accustomed to spending countless hours practicing and rehearsing IN ADDITION to all of the normal classroom and homework requirements of a student without your heavy responsibilities. So it would seem like a relative walk in the park to enroll for only 12 hours of class. But in addition to these classes, there are other time wasting devices such as your required attendance at movie nights. What could the purpose of this possibly be??? I find myself at an academic institution where I am obligated to devote nearly 3 hours of my day (hours in which I could be improving my future by practicing, or working away at my looming homework obligations) to watch Harry Potter. There are also these pointless things called chateau groups, through which we are insistently warned against dirtying the kitchen and then asked to share experiences.
In addition to these events, there is the general attitude of the faculty towards our work as being entirely pointless except as recreation for us. As if practicing violin technique were the same as jamming with a garage band. (I pause here to say that there are some among them who thoroughly appreciate and assist in accomodating our work.) It is with this mindset that we are told that, in addition to our musical activity, we must be students.
So, I would like you to know that your musical studies will be made, not with the abbey, but in spite of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment