Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Vision Quest

Your Vision Quest is something your asked to discover during Orientation. It can be about what your going to get out of this experience, what you learn from this experience really just something personal and impacting. When I sat down with DMack (Doug Mackaman) I had know idea what my "Vision" Quest would be but I think a long the way I figured it out.


Here it is,

Comming along on this trip was something I never thought would happen. I knew that somehow it would fall through along the way. Coming across the country to live for three months away from everything I know and recognize is tough for anyone but for me it seemed impossible. If it wasn't for my really wonderful friend Amanda I probably would never have made it. It seemed like she was packed and ready to go the minute we heard about the Abbey Program in our always riveting government class. I saw the excitement and courage in her and I knew than I wouldn't let this opportunity pass me by because I was scared. I instantly knew it was something I not only wanted to do but had too. Just like anything in life, it wasn't easy to tell my parents that next semester I would be going 5,000 miles away to go to school, to get all the never ending paperwork done, figure out what classes corresponded to my major and somehow have some money to spend. Next thing I knew it was February and I was on my way.

If there is anything I have learned to be so true on this trip it's that attitude more than anything determines your experiences. Since we landed in Charles de Gaulle airport nothing has been easy. I remember walking out of the airplane excited and tired all at once and trying to remember some of the passengers faces so we could find baggage claim. We grabbed a luggage cart and waited till the very last suitcase made its rounds on the conveyer belt twice only to solidify what was going through our minds our luggage was lost. It was this event that leads me to my first experience speaking some sort of French. We walked into a room to speak to a lady about our lost luggage and for some reason I forgot that she didn't really speak English. I tried to mumble and describe what our luggage looked like and then she asked where we were going, a few more mumbles and confused faces later we agreed on something, at that moment I knew I was really in for something.

After what seemed like the longest bus ride of my life we finally arrived at the Abbey, put our luggage in our room and made our way to Le Commerce. I remember Jessica Lamb saying that this was the place we would be eating at everyday and most likely hanging out all the time which has never sounded so true. The one thing that sticks out in my mind the most is how LONG the walk felt to Le Commerce, I remember thinking "my God this is the longest walk ever, we are doing this everyday?"

I can truly say I have some really wonderful memories from the Abbey, there hasn't been one time during my stay that has made me regret the decision to come or to wish I had never to begin with. I have not only learned in an environment that allows me to live and practice what I am learning but to also see it. It's difficult to put into words how I feel about this place and the people I have met. Not only have I encountered some of the most beautiful, strong and kind-hearted people but I also got to personally share my experience with a really great friend and person. I hope that one day I can have as stong and as big of a heart as she does. Learning to grow and experience in a new environment with these people has been a priveledge I will cherish and remember for the rest of my life. I have gained a new appreciation for life and everything I have and I don't know if that is really sad that the Abbey helped me really know how blessed I am but it has. I have seen more things in my life than most people I know. I promised myself that in the beginning of this trip I would do everything I could to enjoy every moment I had here because to some people it will always be a dream but for me it was an incredible experience I got to live through.

When we had our meeting with Doug about our "Vision Quest" would be I wasn't really sure what that meant or what mine would be. I have always been the type of person to go with the flow and to never really complain about things that seem silly. Amanda and I always said to eachother before we got here was that we don't care where we go or who with, were in Europe and that is enough for us. Doug helped me realize my Vision may be to really be courageous, a little selfish and to speak up more even if it really isn't a big deal situation. I can say that I have learned what it means to be "courageous" in terms of traveling and to just let whatever happens happen. I have learned when it is important to speak up and know when it is okay to let it go. It sounds simple and maybe even silly but it is a lesson I have learned. I think my "Vision Quest" was appreciation; not to be confused that I didn't have any kind of appreciation to begin with but it is something different and wild to have to book a flight, bus or train, to find and decide on a place to stay, to agree with your fellow travelers on details, to catch a metro, to walk and walk and walk and then finally get to where ever your going stop and ask yourself why you wanted to go there to begin with and figure out what it means to you is exhausting and really difficult it pushes you to appreciate what your life, the places and people at home really mean to you. Really appreciating the places and landmarks I have seen in respect to the people who were here before me. Not only do I have a new appreciation for the many things in this world I have found a new appreciation for the most common things in my life. I am an incredibly blessed person and I realize how much my parents have sacrificed and given me.



I will never forget my time at the Abbey and how it has made me grow as a student and in a small but large way it has made me grow immensely as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment