Thursday, May 6, 2010

Host Families Are The Way To Go!!!


When we first received the form asking us if we wanted a host family while we were going to be here I will admit I was a little apprehensive about it. I wasn't to fond of the idea of going to visit and hang out with complete strangers who didn't speak the same language as me. I though about it for a long time and I come to the conclusion that I might as well do it. I was already going on this once in a lifetime journey to Europe so why not go ahead and do it. I have always been a people person I was just worried whether they would like me or what happens if I don't like them. I was thinking way to much about the simple question of whether I wanted a host family. When we got here we had a meeting with Pamela (a local artist and a host mother) the first week and they matched us with our host families. We would tell them what we were interested in and what we liked and they would match as best they could with families who had similar interest. Since I am a Tourism Management major I was matched with a host mom, Pascale, who has worked at the Chateau Cheverny for 25 years. She is divorced and just recently remarried to Stanly a Haitian man. Her daughter, Rebecca, is 15 and wants to become an English teacher in Canada one day; and her son Tebair wants to become a chef and is currently working in a restaurant in Cheverny where they all live. So one, your host family doesn't have to live in Pontlevoy and two your host family can speak some English or none at all. Luckily for me, because Rebecca wants to be an English teacher she is and has taken many English classes so she speaks fairly well. Madame Pascale, because she has worked at the chateau for so long, has learned some English over time and can hold a basic conversation. Mr. Stanly and Tebair speak very little English and normally explain to one of the other two their question and let one of them ask me in English because I speak no French. The only French I know, which I learned here, is basic greeting and salutations. So NO, it is not necessary for you to know any French in order to have a host family. You also have complete control over how often or how many times you see/hang out with your host family. I strongly recommend that if you come on this program you get a host family. I was only able to see my host family 2 times for one reason or another. The first time I went and stayed with them for a weekend. My host mom cooked me lots of amazing food, I got to go see Chateau Cheverny, and my host sister walked me around and showed me the town of Cheverny and Cour-Cheverny. They are a lot like Pontlevoy in the since that they are small little French villages and everyone knows everyone. I am really thankful I decided to get a host family when I think about the fact that if I had not got one I would never have been able to try actual French food and be shown around a small village other than Pontlevoy by someone who live there. The second time I saw them I only stayed for one night, but they brought me to see Chateaux Chambord and Chaumont, the market in Chambord, and the gardens in Chaumont which actually turned out to be more like an art exhibit that was outside. It was really interesting getting to see all of these places and since my host mom is very knowledgeable about French chateaux so she was able to explain to me the history of both chateaux. The market was also really interesting because it was just like a flee market with the exception in was in front a the largest chateau in the Loire Valley, Chateau Chambord (http://www.chambord.org/). There was everything from clothes to furniture all the way to food and art. We talked to one of my host moms friends who lives in Chambord and they said that they had an estimated 4000 people attend the market that day by 3:00pm. The gardens were really unique because it was an art exhibit that is held every year and always has a different theme. This year the theme was combing the body with nature and there was all kinds of interesting pieces of art. My host family showed me so many things I would never have been able to see or experience otherwise. I got to see how a true French family lives and learn even more about French culture. I wouldn't change my decision to have a host family for anything. Getting a host family was probably the single greatest decision I made before/throughout this entire program. The students who didn't get host families, by the end of the semester, were saying that they wished they had got a host family. So, here are the options. 1. You can get a host family and they can show you all the things the Loire Valley has to offer or 2. You can not get a host family, possibly not see all aspects of the Loire Valley, and not be able to see or experience how French people actually live. So do yourself a HUGE favor and get a host family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment