Wednesday, May 5, 2010

LEAVING MY COMFORT ZONE


When you leave to come to a foreign country you never think about how heavily effect you will be by it. When I found out that I was going on this trip I did research and asked a whole lot of questions. One of Jessica Lamb's favorite questions where that i asked her was how was it possible for me to bring all my belonging on this trip. She laughed of course and told me to bring selective amount of clothing and and a few souvenirs to remind me of home. Silly me why did i believe that i could pack food, my television and ship it to the abbey. Upon leaving I really wasn't worried about leaving the country and all my family and friends, all i was thinking about was how fun it was gone be when I get to Europe and all the new people i was gone meet. During the little mini- break we had before we left for Europe and i didn't prepare myself to not be around all my friends and family. My thought was that i need to be around them as much as possible because i wouldn't be able to see them for three whole months. But I was wrong, after I came over here to Europe all the administrators was talking about Culture shock. Culture shock is a state of bewilderment and distress experienced by an individual who is suddenly exposed to a new, strange, or foreign social and cultural environment. Something i had never heard before. So when they explained it I knew I wasn't gone experience it, wrong! I got extremely homesick to where i wasn't really enjoying myself and i wanted to be on the next flight back home. I started getting really sick and my body started doing things it wouldn't normally do. For example my nose would bleed everyday for two straight weeks, and the last time my nose bleed i was a freshman in HIGH SCHOOL. Culture shock can be different for everybody. most people don't even experience culture shock. After you get use to the abbey and tell yourself this is going to be the best experience of your life culture shock wont even exist anymore.








No comments:

Post a Comment